Welcome to the Valley! We are glad you are considering joining us in the TVCC Dual Credit program. Before you can get started, first consider the following:
- Prospective students will need to obtain permission from your high school counselor and/or principal (or home school administrator) as well as your parent or legal guardian.
- Before taking some college level courses, students may need to take a placement test or have qualifying test scores to be eligible for the program. See our testing requirements.
- Interested students should follow the admissions steps for TVCC dual credit students.
• Studies show that dual credit increases the likelihood that a student will complete high school, and enroll in and persist in college.
• Courses that are transferrable to public colleges and universities in the State of Texas are generally transferable to colleges and universities throughout the United States.
• Enhances the academic record of college-bound high school students.
• Assists students in their transition into higher education.
• Shortens the time needed to complete an undergraduate degree.
• Reduces the cost of higher education.
• New graduates enter the workforce sooner and begin to earn wages, benefiting themselves and the economy.
• Local high schools have identified specific courses at TVCC for which students may receive Dual Credit upon completing the course with a grade of "C" or better.
• Dual Credit Students are only awarded college and high school credit for those courses identified in the annual agreement with the school district.
• Year-long high school courses require a two-semester college course sequence. Semester-long high school courses generally require a one-semester college course. Individual high schools may have different requirements, so it is best to check with your counselor before enrolling.
Freshman & Sophomore Academic Enrollment Procedure:
• Student must have completed all three sections of the TSI, but only pass the Reading and Writing sections.
• Freshman students must possess an overall 8th grade average of a B.
• Sophomore students must possess a high school GPA of a 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
• Student must possess attendance and discipline records reflecting acceptable threshold.
• Student who do not meet the attendance and discipline threshold will be required to meet with TVCC officials for an interview.
Student must provide the following documentation before the interview:
• College readiness (TSI, ACT, PSAT, SAT) test scores
• Copy of high school transcript
• Copy of attendance record
• Copy of discipline record
• Letter of recommendation from principal
Freshman & Sophomore Workforce Enrollment Procedure:
• Student must have completed all three sections of the TSI (while we require testing, scores do not have to complete the area requirement for admissions)