Font Size:

Frequently Asked Dual Credit Questions

For Students:


Q : How much are dual credit courses going to cost?

A : Tuition is waived for the first two courses each semester.  Fees depend on whether the school district is a tax-district school, or a non-tax district school.  In addition, there are internet fees of $40 and lab fees of $35.  Go to Dual Credit Enrollment Costs schedule to view specific costs.  Books, supplies, and parking fees are the responsibility of the student.

Q : When should I apply to begin as soon as possible?

A : You should complete the dual credit enrollment process during your sophomore school year in order to attend classes during the summer semester you become eligible. Students are advised to complete the TVCC enrollment process no later than mid-April in order to have the best selection of summer courses.

Q : When and where are classes offered?

A : TVCC courses are available during the normal school year, after school, during weekends, and over the summer.  Some courses are offered on individual high school campuses for that particular high school’s students.

Q : What classes can I take as a dual credit student?

A :  Each school district determines what college credit courses they will use as dual credit and how they will satisfy high school graduation requirements. However, TVCC allows dual credit courses to include TVCC Core, Workforce Education courses, and foreign language courses.  It is important to check with your high school counselor for the most current list of courses.

Q : Are certain courses off limits to me?

A :  You may take any college credit course with the TVCC Core, Workforce Education courses, and/or foreign language courses, if you meet the course prerequisites and have reviewed your course options with your high school counselor.  You must list the course on your TVCC Dual Credit/Concurrent Registration Form, due each semester before registering. Freshman and Sophomores should see the Approved Coursework for High School Freshman and Sophomores. 

Q : Are there online classes I can take?

A :  TVCC's Distance Learning program offers hundreds of courses, many of them via the Internet. Dual Credit students may take Distance Learning courses, but it is important to understand that these courses maintain the same high standards as a classroom course and require significant self-discipline in order to complete them successfully.  Take the Is Distance Learning for You? quiz to discover if Distance Learning is right for you.

Q : Will TVCC contact me to verify that I am enrolled in a class?

A :  No, you will not receive an email or phone call to verify that you have enrolled.  You can check your schedule through your My Cardinal Connect account.

Q : Can I make changes to my schedule?

A :  If you have already registered for a semester and wish to make a change to that schedule, you can fill out a form with your high school counselor.  They will then have ot submit that form, with signatures, to the dual credit department.

Q : What if the class I wanted is full?

A :  Many of the TVCC courses fill quickly, so it is important to have a back-up plan. Discuss options for alternate courses with your counselor or make sure that you have several options for times and locations of the class you want. Remember: you can take classes at any TVCC campus or center.

Q : How can I get my textbook list?

A :  Students are responsible for the purchase of their textbooks and/or access codes.  It is the student's responsibility to go the bookstore website to determine what books and/or access codes are required for their courses; there are instructions available for how to do so. Students may also physically go to one of the bookstore locations, call the bookstore for information, or look at the online course syllabus to determine required materials for the course.

Q : I am finishing up my last semester/school year as a dual-credit student.  When will I be able to register?

A : Dual-credit students who are transitioning to regular college students but have not yet graduated high school should turn in the dual-credit transition form to their high school counselor, who will submit it to our registrar's office.  Once the form has been processed, you will get an email from our registrar's office saying you may now register for the upcoming semester.  You will still not be permitted to self-register at this time; you must meet with an advisor to complete this first registration as a regular student.