Board of Trustees meeting minutes -- 9/23/13
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, September 23, 2013 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mrs. Paula Kimball
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Steve Grant
Dr. Charlie Risinger
1. Mr. Stone opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. President Forgey recognized Texas State Representative Lance Gooden and thanked him for his assistance in obtaining the 4 way stop sign for the safety of the college students, faculty, and staff.
4. There was no information and news report.
5. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
Trustee Steve Grant provided an update on the TVCC Foundation.
President Forgey introduced Allison Braggs, TVCC Student Government Association President for the 2013-14 year.
President Forgey provided an update on fall enrollment.
President Forgey reported that Family Day was very well attended and thanked Dr. Kinzer and his staff for a very successful event.
President Forgey shared that Donna Bennett had been named a recipient of the Outstanding Distance Learning Faculty Award by the Northeast Texas Consortium of College and Universities and that Vice President of Institutional Advancement, Mary Nicholson, was presented the Community Connection Award by the Athens Chamber of Commerce.
President Forgey reported that the 4 way stop had been installed at the corner of Dean Street and FM 2494.
President Forgey reminded the Board of the ACCT conference October 2 – 5 in Seattle, Washington, the Texas Health Resources – Kaufman Presbyterian Black Tie Gala – November 9 and other upcoming college activities.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be November 25.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the minutes to the August 26, 2013 Board meeting and September 9, 2013 Board Tax Rate Hearing be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. McGee the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for August 2013. Motion carried unanimously. Trustee Monk requested that the Board discuss dedicating FY12-13 surplus funds at the November Board meeting.
8. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the college set the tax rate for the college at $.0960 per $100 for the regular tax district and the college retain and set the tax rate for the college at $.05 per $100 for the branch campus maintenance tax district. Motion carried unanimously. Trustees Day and Norville were absent.
THESE TAX RATES WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S RATES. THE TAX RATES WILL EFFECTIVELY BE RAISED BY 7.7% FOR THE REGULAR TAX DISTRICT AND 1.56% FOR THE BRANCH CAMPUS MAINTENANCE TAX DISTRICT, AND WILL RAISE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS ON A $100,000 HOME BY APPROXIMATELY $7.00 IN THE REGULAR TAX DISTRICT.
9. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board approve the non-participation in the State Employee Charitable Contribution Program CDDA (LOCAL) policy. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board approve the tax roll levy for Trinity Valley Community College for Kaufman County Tax Appraisal Roll. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Monk the Board approve the TASB and (LOCAL) policy updates. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball the Board approve participation in the Texas Community College Cooperative Purchasing Network Cooperative. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board go into closed session at 8:26 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board return from closed door session at 10:02 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Melinda Parish – A D N Professor
(2) Christi Doherty – A D N Professor
b. New Hires:
(1) Susan Kirwan – A D N Professor
(2) Garrett Mink – Guidance Associate I - Terrell
(1) Ellery Watson – Microcomputer/LAN Analyst to
(2) Kelly Townsend – 11 month contract to 12
(3) Seth Forgey – P/T to F/T Microcomputer/LAN Analyst
(4) Cortney Curran – Director of Student Activities to
Director of International Students/Recruiter
(5) Karla Bryan – Paraprofessional to Professional
(6) Amanda Leyva – Guidance Associate I to Guidance
(7) Barbara Blackmon – Administrative Assistant Palestine
to Administrative Assistant Correctional Education
d. Other personnel issues
(1) Sports Information Officer – Public Information Officer
Motion carried unanimously.
16. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, to adjourn the meeting at 10:03 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.