Board of Trustees meeting minutes -- 8/26/13
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, August 26, 2013 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Ron Day Mr. David Monk
Mrs. Paula Kimball Dr. Charlie Risinger
- Dr. Risinger opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. There was no public information report.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey provided an update on summer enrollment.
President Forgey advised the Board on new open meeting law rules.
President Forgey gave an overview of the Success Points Funding Formula.
President Forgey mentioned Foundation activity and recent successes.
President Forgey discussed the ACCT meeting in Seattle.
President Forgey reminded the Board of the Meet the Cards on August 29th and the football game versus Coffeyville on August 31st.
President Forgey noted the 2nd tax rate hearing would be September 9th and the next Board meeting would be September 23rd.
6. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the minutes to the July 22, 2013 Board meeting and August 14th Board budget workshop be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for July 2013. Motion carried unanimously.
8. A hearing was conducted on the proposed tax increase for 2013-14. There were no comments and the hearing was announced closed by Chairman Raymond at 7:46 p.m.
9. A hearing was conducted on the proposed college operating budget for 2013-14. There were no comments and the hearing was announced closed by Chairman Raymond at 7:48 p.m.
10. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the college 2013-14 operating budget. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the purchase of a new livestock trailer from Supreme Trailer Sales in Oklahoma at a cost of $37,435. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve PEAT (Public Educators Association of Texas) as the 2013-14 auto, liability, and property insurance provider. Motion carried unanimously. The Board requested the administration to research the possibility of increasing the coverage and the cost to do so.
13. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve a new 48 month photocopier lease agreement with Xerox Corporation for Palestine and Terrell Campuses through Document Solutions. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board go into closed session at 8:03 p.m. in accordance with Government Codes 551.072, and 551.074 including but not limited to discussion of the appointment of someone to fill the vacancy of a Board member position. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board return from closed session at 10:16 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Sherry Miles, Administrative Assistant, Correctional Ed. Dept.
(2) Jennifer Hannigan, Public Information Officer
(3) Diane Collum, English Professor
(4) John Folmar, Senior Systems Administrator
(5) William Hauck, Student Success Center Assistant
(6) Sarah Booker, Math Professor
(7) Thomas Hainze, Computer Science Professor
(8) Benny McCartney, Media Specialist
b. New Hires:
(1) Christina Merrida, Coaching Assistant, Softball
(2) Patricia Robinson, Coaching Assistant, Pitching
(3) Kristen Stovall, Workforce Ed Business Technology Professor
(4) Ronn Herod, Electronics Instructor, TDCJ
(5) Spencer Robertson, Coaching Assistant, Women’s Basketball
(6) Aida Allen, Mathematics Professor
(7) Carole McClure, LRC Technical Assistant
(8) Janith Fritz, Medical Nursing Assistant Professor
(9) April Brown, Administrative Assistant, Community Services
(10) David Dausman, A D N ProfessorusteHH
c. Discuss and consider any changes in reclassification/promotions of staff.
(1) Gerald Ewing, from Coaching Assistant to Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach
(2) Antonio Whitfield, Housing Coordinator
(3) Richard Deupree, from Full-time Correctional Education Specialist to Part-time Enrollment Coordinator
d. Others as necessary:
- Approval of president’s contract for FY13-14
Motion carried unanimously.
17. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board appoint Mr. Steve Grant to fill the vacancy on the Board for District 1. Motion carried unanimously.
18. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, to adjourn the meeting at 10:17 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.