Board of Trustees minutes -- 9/23/14
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, September 22, 2014 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Steve Grant
Dr. Charlie Risinger Mr. Homer Norville
1. Mr. Monk opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. TVCC Public Information Officer, Jayson Larson, updated the Board on various stories including: the Nest in the recently remodeled cafeteria, athletic teams, TVCC participation in the Uncle Fletch Hamburger Festival, family day, the upcoming homecoming activities, and the participation in the state fair by the band and Cardettes.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey provided an update on fall enrollment. Fall 2014 enrollment, 6937, is almost identical to Fall 2013 enrollment, 6,942.
President Forgey briefed the Board that the 2011 student loan cohort default rate decreased to 21.8 from the 2010 rate of 26.3.
President Forgey mentioned the recent participation and awards won by of the TVCC Beef Cattle Show team in the Four States Fair.
President Forgey advised the Board of the ACCT conference October 22 – 25 in Chicago, and other upcoming college activities.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be October 27th.
6. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the minutes to the August 25, 2014 Board meeting and September 8, 2014 Special Board Meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
September 22, 2014
7. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Stone the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for August 2014 and dedicating $775,000 of the surplus to capital funds. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the college set the tax rate for the college at $.1036 per $100 for the regular tax district and the college retain and set the tax rate for the college at $.05 per $100 for the branch campus maintenance tax district. Motion carried unanimously. Trustee McGee was absent.
For the regular tax district:
THIS TAX RATE WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S RATE. THE TAX RATE WILL EFFECTIVELY BE RAISED BY 7.95% FOR THE REGULAR TAX DISTRICT AND WILL RAISE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS ON A $100,000 HOME BY APPROXIMATELY $7.60 IN THE REGULAR TAX DISTRICT.
9. Mr. Grant moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board go into closed session at 7:53 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. Grant moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board return from closed door session at 8:46 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Hannah Buchanan, Student Financial Aid Specialist (PELL)
(2) Rodney Garrett, Building Services Technician
(3) Tony Buford, Shipping, Receiving & Transportation Assistant
(4) Annette Brown, Instructional Assistant to the Director of
Adult Education, ESL & EL Civics
b. New Hires:
(1) Maricela Chavez, Instructor, Surgical Technology
(2) LaToya Howell, Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach
September 22, 2014
(1) Heather Young, Assistant to Registrar to Student
Financial Aid Specialist (PELL)
d. Other personnel issues
e. Land offers or acquisitions
12. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Dr. Risinger, the Board approve the non-participation in the State Employee Charitable Contribution Program CDDA (LOCAL) policy. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Norville the Board table action on the TASB and (LOCAL) policy updates. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Keith Bell, Mr. Robert Dobbs, and Mr. Greg Pharris addressed the Board regarding the possibility of Forney being annexed into the college tax paying district. A committee comprised of Mr. Raymond, Mr. Grant and Dr. Risinger was appointed to study annexation issues and recommendations.
15. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Day the Board approve the extension to the bank depository contracts with American National Bank of Texas and Prosperity Bank. Motion carried 7 – 0. Dr. Risinger abstained.
16. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Day, to adjourn the meeting at 9:46 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.