Board of Trustees Minutes -- 8/25/14
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, August 25, 2014 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Ron Day Mr. David Monk
Mrs. Paula Kimball Dr. Charlie Risinger Mr. Steve Grant
- Mr. McGee opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. TVCC Public Information Officer, Jayson Larson, updated the Board on various stories including: summer commencement, athletic teams beginning play, the college offering A+ computer certification classes, preparations by the band, the Cardette show off, and the social media efforts of the college .
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey provided an update on enrollment.
President Forgey advised the Board on upcoming activities.
President Forgey showed the Board pictures of the newly remodeled cafeteria. President Forgey also reported that the handicapped access from Cardinal Hall to Cardinal Gym across FM2495 had been completed by the Texas Department of Transportation.
President Forgey briefed the Board on annexation interest from Forney.
President Forgey announced that Jeff Weinstein was hosting the football team for a kickoff celebration Thursday evening at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries.
President Forgey reminded the Board of the Meet the Cards on August 27th and the football game versus TJC on August 30th.
President Forgey noted the 2nd tax rate hearing would be September 8th and the next Board meeting would be September 22nd.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the minutes to the July 28, 2014 Board Meeting and August 13, 2014 Special Board
Meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for July 2014. Motion carried unanimously.
8. A hearing was conducted on the proposed tax increase for 2014-15. There were no comments and the hearing was announced closed by Chairman Raymond at 7:47 p.m.
9. A hearing was conducted on the proposed college operating budget for 2014-15. There were no comments and the hearing was announced closed by Chairman Raymond at 7:48 p.m.
10. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball , the Board approve the college 2014-15 operating budget and associated tuition and fees. Motion carried unanimously. The Board requested an analysis on the increase in revenues and expenditures over the last 5 years as well as metrics on the cost per student to operate the college.
11. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board approve PEAT (Public Educators Association of Texas) as the 2014-15 auto, liability, and property insurance provider. Motion carried unanimously. The Board requested a five year history of claims by the college be prepared for the next meeting. It was also requested that the administration begin researching insurance coverage that included higher deductibles and insurance based on agreed values.
12. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board rescind the award to Brinson and reject all bids due to the inability to meet the bid specifications. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, that the Board approve, pending availability as of the day of the Board meeting, the purchase of a new 2015 Ford Expedition XL and a new 2014 Ford Transit Connect from Silsbee Ford through the HGAC Buy purchasing co-op program.
Should these specific vehicles no longer be available, the board approve the purchase of a 2014 or 2015 Ford Expedition and a 2014 or 2015 Ford Transit through a co-op of which the college is a member at prices not to exceed $33,000 and $21,735 respectively. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board table action on a new police vehicle. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board go into closed session at 8:52 p.m. in accordance with Government Codes 551.072, and 551. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board return from closed session at 9:56 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board approve the president’s contract for FY14-15 and the following personnel actions:
(1) Elena Lovato, Head Women’s Basketball Coach
(2) Larry Burkett, Business Computer Information Technology
b. New Hires:
(1) Elsa Apo, Coaching Assistant, Softball
(2) Jill Foltz, Art Professor, Athens
(3) Keith Patton, Welding Instructor, Palestine
(4) Maria Lippart, Guidance Associate I, Palestine
(5) Mary Krieger, ADN Professor, Kaufman
(6) Robert Janeway, Microcomputer/LAN Analyst
(7) Eric Hood, Microcomputer/LAN Analyst
(8) Michael Hart, Business & Computer Science Professor, TDCJ
(9) Carlos Briggs, Coaching Assistant, Men’s Basketball
c. Discuss and consider any changes in reclassification/promotions
(1) Gerald Ewing, Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach to Head
Women’s Basketball Coach
Motion carried unanimously.
17. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Day, to adjourn the meeting at 9:57 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.