Board of Trustees minutes - 6/23/14
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, June 23, 2014 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. David Monk Mr. Steve Grant Mr. Ron Day
Dr. Charlie Risinger Mrs. Paula Kimball
1. Mr. Monk opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. TVCC Public Information Officer, Jayson Larson, updated the Board on various stories including: GED graduation, the successes of Adult Education Program, the record breaking year of the athletic department raising over $10,000 to benefit community organizations, the new billboard on U.S. 175, the upcoming Valley magazine, and the social media efforts of the college .
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey advised the Board that summer enrollment was down slightly from last year.
President Forgey updated the Board on the participation of Justus Whitcher in the College National Finals Rodeo.
President Forgey shared that Vice President Jean McSpadden has assumed the role of president of the Texas Association of Community Colleges Business Officers this year.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be July 28, 2014.
5. Mr. Grant moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the minutes to the April 28, 2014 Board meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for April and May 2014. Motion carried unanimously.
June 23, 2014
7. There was discussion on the college legacy system and the possibility of an external ERP system. The Board requested that the administration investigate, prepare an analysis and report back to the Board the advantages, disadvantages and costs to maintain or acquire the options.
8. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the purchasing of athletic and catastrophic insurance from Bene-Marc Inc. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve the schedule and associated tuition and fees for the Community Services/Continuing Education 2014 summer/fall classes. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the student loan default management services contract with Texas Guaranteed beginning September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2015 in the amount of $72,275. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board approve a five year contract with ThyssenKrupp Elevator Corporation for elevator and lift service on the Athens campus at a base cost of $52,438.20 with annual price adjustments not to exceed 3% per year. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board go into closed session at 8:22 p.m. to discuss land and/or personnel in accordance with Govt. Codes 551.072 and 551.074. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board return from closed session at 8:57 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Dr. Risinger, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Sherri Benthall, Videoconference Support Specialist
(2) Trent Wolf, Men’s Basketball Coaching Assistant
(3) Peter Davis, SBDC Counselor
(4) William Enger, History Professor
(5) Ella Faye Carlile, Dev. Reading/English/Nutrition Professor
(6) Byron McGilvray, Director of Choral Music
June 23, 2014
b. New Hires:
(1) Diane Waggoner, Student Financial Aid Specialist/Loan
(2) Ashley Noell, Tutor Coordinator Terrell
(3) September Kirk, Studio Art Professor
(4) Kristin Huggins, Vocal Instructor
(5) Matthew Edmonds, Campus Police Officer
- Linda Daniel, Director of Guidance Services, to Director of
Student Completion/Assistant Registrar
- Michael Matchael, Marching Band Director, to Director of
- John Day, Microcomputer LAN Analyst, Athens to Palestine
- Gayle Martin, Guidance Associate II, to Art Professor
- Kelly Driskell, Division Chair Fine Arts/Speech, add:
Director of Quality Enhancement Planning
d. Other as necessary:
(1) Renewal of FY 2014-2015 faculty contracts
(2) Renewal of FY 2014-2015 administrative contracts
Motion carried unanimously.
15. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, to adjourn the meeting at 8:59 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
Submitted By Date
Approved By Date