Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, February 25, 2013 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Jack Endres
Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day Dr. Charlie Risinger
1. Mr. Day opened the meeting with prayer.
2. Mr. Paul Henning spoke regarding the outsourcing of custodians.
3. There were no information or news items.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey provided an update on the SACS 5th Year Report.
President Forgey reported that the college raised $5,000 for the annual Play 4 Kay game and activities.
President Forgey announced that the Palestine and Kaufman Practical Nursing scored 100% pass rates.
President Forgey showed coverage of the Leon Spencer Court Dedication.
President Forgey commented on the Community College Day.
President Forgey told the Board that the college would be having Learning Day on Friday, March 1.
President Forgey informed the Board of Spring Break March 11 – 15th
President Forgey advised the Board of the Car Show the Student Government Association was holding on March 2 to raise funds.
President Forgey mentioned the Region XIV conference basketball tournament would be held March 5 – 9th at UT-Tyler.
President Forgey presented the new feature on the TVCC website that provides for the capability to make online donations to the TVCC Foundation.
President Forgey discussed the possibility of not having a March Board meeting.
5. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the minutes to the January 28, 2013 Board meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously with Trustee Endres abstaining.
6. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Endres the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for January 2013. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Day the Board approve the renewal of the depository contracts with American National Bank and Prosperity Bank. Motion carried unanimously with Dr. Risinger abstaining.
8. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone the Board approve the FY2013-14 College Calendar. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone the Board approve the FY2013-14 tuition and fee rates. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board approve the new faculty proposed for FY2013-14. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the Board approve replacement of the Gibbs Building chiller with a new 190 ton McQuay unit from Brandt at a price not to exceed $170,737. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board go into closed session at 8:18 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board return from closed door session at 8:34 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
a. Retirements/Resignations/Reductions in Force
(1) Kevin January, Softball Coaching Assistant
(2) August Henning, Maintenance Worker - Terrell
(3) Rhonda Chandler, Building Custodian Team Leader
(4) Patricia Auman, Building Custodian
(5) Eva Ball, Building Custodian
(6) Otis Connor, Building Custodian
(7) Michelle Dekker, Building Custodian
(8) Jeffrey DeLair, Building Custodian
(9) Rita Dollison, Building Custodian
(10) Pamela Dustman, Building Custodian
(11) Brady Jordan, Building Custodian
(12) James Stone, Building Custodian
(13) Larry Watson, Building Custodian
(14) Judy Wilson, Building Custodian
(15) Frank Scelfo, Assistant Football Coach
b. New Hires:
(1) Clay Patterson, Assistant Football Coach
(2) Sherry Miles, Administrative Assistant, Correctional Education
(3) Frank Scelfo, Assistant Football Coach
(1) Craig Lee – Head of Performance Studies
(2) Elizabeth Grim – Head of Theatrical Design
d. Other personnel issues
15. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, to adjourn the meeting at 8:35 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.