At TVCC, experienced music faculty instruct and guide the technical and artistic growth of today's students, soon to be tomorrow's artists and teachers. All students seeking to earn an Associate of Arts in Music will enroll in applied studies (private lessons) with an assigned faculty member specialized in their area.
Private lessons are currently offered to all music majors, as well as theatre majors who are interested in pursuing a musical theatre degree at the university level. Applied studies are also available to music minors upon audition, based on studio space for that given semester.
Course curriculum includes the following:
1. Development of solid vocal technique
2. Introduction of breath support and management
3. Assignment of vocalises and similar exercises
4. Study of appropriate repertoire, musical styles, and composers, according to the student's voice type and intended path of musical study
5. Utilize IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) to better understand pronunciation of foreign language texts
6. Listen to assigned recordings to gain a better perspective of subjective artistic interpretation
7. Gain a better understanding of vocal pedagogical terms and concepts
As part of their private studies, voice majors will be required to perform three times throughout the semester:
Recital Class - solo literature, classical styles
Vocal Studio Recital - solo literature, duet/ensemble work, classical & modern styles
Juries - a semester final, where vocalists will bring all pieces prepared throughout the semeser, and perform two for a panelists of professors
In addition to required performances held through applied studies, many vocalists are awarded solos in performing ensembles, based upon auditions held during the semester. Many of our vocalists have also been cast in the TVCC Theatre Department's spring musical productions, allowing them the opportunity to experience a full scope of character performance outside of their standard classical repertoire. In the past 5 years, TVCC vocal majors have been cast both in lead and supporting roles for productions of Secret Garden, Little Shop of Horrors, Lucky Stiff, and Little Women.
Submit your Music Scholarship Form HERE!