Font Size:

Hazlewood FAQ

  Frequently Asked Hazlewood Questions

TVCC picture

Q: Is there a minimum academic requirement?

A: All undergraduate and graduate Hazlewood recipients (Veteran, Legacy, and Dependent of 100% Disabled Veteran) must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) cumulative GPA requirements as defined by the Office of Financial Aid. Additionally, undergraduate students must be within the maximum time frame for completion of the degree program and may not have completed a number of semester credit hours that is considered to be excessive as outlined in Texas Education Code 54.014. Legacy Act students must be enrolled in a degree program and may not exempt more than the degree plan maximum hours.Hazlewood Exemption benefits will not be processed for subsequent terms until the previous term’s academic progress has been reviewed and continuing program eligibility has been verified.

Q: Is there an age limit for the Hazlewood Exemption?

A: In order to maintain eligibility for the Legacy Program under the Hazlewood Exemption, a student must be 25 years or younger on the first day of the term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to a qualifying illness or debilitating condition). There is no age limit for a veteran or for the spouse or child of a veteran who was 100% disabled or deceased as a result of service-related injury or illness.

Q: What is a Certificate of Eligibility for Federal GI Bill® benefits (COE) and how do I get one?

A: A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is an official correspondence from the VA stating your federal education benefits status. The certificate will state whether you have exhausted your eligibility for GI Bill® benefits (Chapters 31, 33 [Post-9/11]). COE’s may be obtained by completing a Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) or by calling 1-888-GI-Bill-1.

Q: I used the Hazlewood Exemption at another school. Do I need to complete another application?

A: Yes. State law requires all schools to maintain their own Hazlewood exemption records. Each school also is required to verify your attempted Hazlewood hours from all previously attended institutions.

Q: Can I receive both Hazlewood and VA Benefits?

A: A student may use Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) or Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) with Hazlewood during the same term if the combination of benefits does not exceed the total amount of tuition and fees. In either case, Hazlewood benefits may cover eligible tuition and fees that are not covered by Ch. 33 or Ch. 31 tuition and fees payments. A student may receive the full amount of federal education benefits issued under Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB, Chapter 30 & Chapter 1606), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, Chapter 1607), or Post Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP, Chapter 32) in conjunction with Hazlewood.

Q: Can I receive both Hazlewood and other forms of financial aid?

A: While the Hazlewood exemption may be used in conjunction with some other forms of financial aid, such as federal grants, outside scholarships, loans, and work-study, it must fit within your Cost of Attendance (COA) and contribute to your financial need, if applicable. Certain institutional scholarship and grant funds (such as the Educational Assistance Grant) are intended for tuition and fees only. Consequently, those funds may not be received in addition to the Hazlewood Exemption. If financial aid is already disbursed or awarded at the time your Hazlewood exemption is approved, adjustments may be made to your financial aid to allow for the exemption. Additionally, exemption amounts will be adjusted to allow for any federal VA education (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) benefits that are received.


Posted Date:
9/6/2022 9:59:11 AM