Board of Trustees Minutes - 9/26/2011
Trinity Valley Community CollegeThe Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, September 26, 2011 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Jack Endres
- Mr. McGee opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. Jennifer Hannigan reported on the Homecoming and Hall of Fame Banquet and other upcoming activities.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey provided an update on fall enrollment.
President Forgey showed pictures from TVCC Patriots’ Day.
President Forgey reported on customer service training and the implementation of customer service surveys.
President Forgey stated that the Longevity Committee members had their first meeting on the development of a longevity plan.
President Forgey advised the Board that the Texas Association of Community Colleges have partnered with Western Governors University – Texas to make it easier for community college students to transfer.
President Forgey announced that the Band and Cardettes will be participating in the Veterans’ Day Parade, H.E.B. Houston Thanksgiving Day parade, and the Adolph us Christmas Parade as well as with Tony Orlando in Branson, Missouri.
President Forgey reminded the Board of the Texas Health Resources – Kaufman Presbyterian Black Tie Gala – November 12.
President Forgey mentioned that TVCC faculty and staff will be participating in Learning Day on September 30.
President Forgey announced that the TVCC Hall of Fame/Homecoming activities would be this weekend.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be October 24.
5. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the minutes to the August 22, 2011 Board meeting and September 12, 2011 Board Tax Rate Hearing be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for August 2011. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the college set the tax rate for the college at $.0815 per $100 for the regular tax district and the college retain and set the tax rate for the college at $.05 per $100 for the branch campus maintenance tax district. Motion carried unanimously.
For the regular tax district:
THIS TAX RATE WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S RATE. THE TAX RATES WILL EFFECTIVELY BE RAISED BY 7.8% FOR THE REGULAR TAX DISTRICT AND WILL RAISE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS ON A $100,000 HOME BYAPPROXIMATELY $4.00.
8. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Stone , the Board approve the tax roll levy for Trinity Valley Community College for Kaufman County Tax Appraisal Roll. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the non-participation in the State Employee Charitable Contribution Program CDDA (LOCAL) policy. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Discussion was held on the outsourcing of the custodial and maintenance proposals. No decision was made.
11. A hearing was held on HB 621 regarding taxation of goods in transit.
12. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board adopt the attached resolution regarding goods in transit. Motion carried unanimously.
13. There was no discussion on capital projects.
14. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board cast a ballot for the slate as recommended for the Van Zandt County Appraisal District Board of Directors. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board go into closed session at 8:32 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board return from closed door session at 9:40 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
17. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
b. New Hires:
(1) Coaching Assistant, Basketball, Athens
(2) Coaching Assistant, Cheer, Athens
(3) Coaching Assistant, Pitching, Athens
(4) Nursing, Kaufman Health Science Center
(5) Web Programmer, Athens
(6) Enrollment Clerk, Pre-Service, TDCJ
(7) Others as needed
(1) Dorothy Houston, Student Services Specialist, CAPS, Athens.
(2) Billy Burton, Police Officer, Athens
(3) Judy Wilson, Custodial, Athens
Motion carried unanimously.
18. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, to adjourn the meeting at 9:42 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.