Board Minutes 4-23-2012
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, April 23, 2012 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Homer Norville Mr. Jerry Stone
Mr. Ron Day Mr. Jack Endres Mr. David Monk
Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Kenneth McGee
Mr. McGee opened the meeting with prayer.
- There were no public comments.
3. Jennifer Hannigan reported on community service provided by TVCC students and various TVCC groups. The events included the Henderson County Performing Arts fundraiser, Trash Bash, and three events to raise money for cancer research and awareness. Over $6,500 was raised at the three events. The Cheer Team placed second at the National Cheer competition. The TVCC Poetry Festival will be held May 1st. The music department Spring Concert will occur April 29 and will honor Dr. Marylyn Wright who will be retiring. The TVCC softball team will be playing in the regional tournament in Lufkin beginning May 3rd.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey reported on the achievements of the TVCC Phi Theta Kappa Chapter. Officers and members include Joelle Logan, Adrian Tovias, Charlott Crutchfield, Rhonda Johnson, Brianna Benavides, Arelly Tovias, Tolu Ayoade.
The Chapter won Distinguished College Project Award, Distinguished Honors In Action Award, Distinguished Honors in Action - Science Issue Award, Distinguished Chapter Award, and Seventh Place Finalist for the Most Distinguished Chapter Award (ranking us 8th out of almost 1300 chapters in the U.S. and 9 other sovereign nations in the world. Sponsors of the TVCC Phi Theta Kappa Chapters are Nancy Long, Tyson and Kristin Spizzirri, and Melinda Reppond.
President Forgey announced that TVCC once again had a Jack Kent Cooke Award recipient.
President Forgey informed the Board that Congressman Jeb Hensarling recorded the TVCC Lady Cardinal women’s basketball team national championship and perfect season on the Congressional Record.
President Forgey advised the Board that college faculty and staff will be attending area Senior Awards Programs to award TVCC scholarships to area students.
President Forgey told the Board that the annual administrative planning retreat will be Thursday, April 26th.
President Forgey mentioned that the TVCC Softball Team will be participating in the Regional Tournament May 3 – 6. The team had their best overall and conference record ever, finishing 17 – 7 in conference.
President Forgey announced that the TDCJ commencement will be Saturday, April 28th. The speaker will be State Representative Lance Gooden. The TVCC Spring commencement will be Thursday, May10th for the nursing students, and Friday, May 11, for the AA and AS students. The speaker will be Steven Spitzer.
President Forgey advised the Board that he would be attending the TACC Presidents’ quarterly meeting April 25th in Austin.
President Forgey distributed an article from The Texas Tribune that questions higher education priorities in Texas, specifically the concern that the “Closing the Gaps” goals will not be reached unless more funding is provided to community colleges.
President Forgey introduced Mr. Heath Cariker, TVCC Director of Campus Safety.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be June 25th.
5. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the minutes to the March 26, 2012 Board meeting minutes be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for March 2012. Motion carried unanimously.
7. There was no discussion on redistricting.
8. There was no discussion on facilities
9. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board approve a subsidy of $500 for each dual credit course taught at the high school by an embedded high school faculty member beginning with the FY2012-13 year. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the 2012-13 room and board rates. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board allow the president to make major HVAC emergency repairs or purchases from capital funds with the approval of the Board Chair contingent upon statutory authority. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the Board approve the extending the bank depository contracts through March 31, 2013. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board match the TVCC Foundation Scholarship request in the amount of $21,000. A request was made to advise the Board in the fall of the number of award recipients who attend TVCC. Another request was to provide the Board with how many of the recipients graduated. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the Continuing and Adult Education Summer 2012 Schedule of Classes and associated tuition and fees. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board go into closed session at 8:30 p.m. in accordance with Government Codes 551.082, 551.072, and 551.074. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board return from closed session at 8:45 p.m.
17. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Michael Landers, Co-Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Assistant Vice President of Student Services
(2) Kenya Landers, Co-Head Women’s Basketball Coach
(3) Charlotte Renk, English/Humanities, Athens
b. New Hires:
(1) Elena Lovato, Head Women’s Basketball Coach
d. Other personnel issues
Motion carried unanimously.
18. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Day, to adjourn the meeting at 8:47 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.