Board of Trustees Minutes - 3/26/2012
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, March 26, 2012 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Homer Norville Mr. Jerry Stone
Mr. Ron Day Mr. Jack Endres Mr. David Monk
- Mr. Stone opened the meeting with prayer.
- There were no public comments.
3. There was no public information report.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey reported on the Houston Livestock Show results and that the show team won the Herdsman Award for the 12th consecutive year.
President Forgey showed highlights from the NJCAA tournament and recognized the outstanding job of all the groups participating. There will be a celebration honoring the Lady Cardinals sixth national championship on Wednesday, April 4.
President Forgey informed the Board that TVCC had three students: Michael Massengale, Cassandra Starek and Caleb Winkowski who recently attended the Texas Community College Aerospace Scholars program at Johnson Space Center in Houston
President Forgey announced the Cardettes Spring performance would be April 20 - 22.
President Forgey advised the Board that the Palestine campus was having an Open House on April 10th from 5 – 7:30 PM at the Palestine Mall.
President Forgey mentioned that the TVCC Cheer Team will be participating in their national competition April 11 – 13th.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be April 23.
5. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the minutes to the February 27, 2012 Board meeting minutes be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for February 2012. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the 2012-13 college calendar. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board cancel the Board of Trustee elections for district seats 4, 5 and 8. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve an additional financial aid staff member. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the authorizing the issuance of Trinity Valley Community College Consolidated Fund Revenue Bonds, Series 2012, the refunding of the Trinity Valley Community College Consolidated Fund Revenue Bonds, Series 2005, and other matters in connection therewith. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Endres , the Board go into closed session at 8:35 p.m. in accordance with Government Codes 551.082, 551.072, and 551.074. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board return from closed session at 8:45 p.m.
13. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Stephen “Chip” Chilton – Resigned – Psychology Professor
(2) Dosha King – Retirement – English/Dev. Studies Professor
(3) William “Bill” Vinson – Retirement – Electronics Instructor
b. New Hires:
(1) Branson L. Blake, Systems Administrator
(1) Joshua Cheek – Additional job duty – Part-time Housing
d. Other personnel issues
Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Day, to adjourn the meeting at 8:47 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.