Board of Trustees minutes 2-27-2012
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, February 27, 2012 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. Jerry Stone Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day
Dr. Charlie Risinger Mr. Jack Endres Mr. David Monk
Mr. Monk opened the meeting with prayer.
- Dr. Bruce Wood, Energy Education Inc., presented the college with an Energy Stewardship Award. Shawn Leis, TVCC Energy Education Specialist, accepted the award on behalf of the college.
3. Jennifer Hannigan informed the Board that the TVCC Spring Conference would be held March 4. Mrs. Hannigan also reported on the creation of an endowed scholarship in memory of Kurt Budke and Miranda Serna. Mrs. Hannigan advised the Board of the Smith family from Cayuga. Lamont, Donald, and Angela Smith were alumni of TVCC who have achieved great accomplishments in their lives. Finally, Mrs. Hannigan told a story of the Rodenbough family who had overcome hardships in their family to pursue higher education at TVCC.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey reported on the Ft. Worth Stock Show results.
President Forgey advised the Board that TVCC received a commendation for having vocational nursing pass rates above 90 percent.
President Forgey discussed recent budget news from the state.
President Forgey informed the Board the 2012 ACCT Conference would be held in Boston, Massachusetts.
President Forgey announced the Spring Concert would be March 4th.
President Forgey told the Board that the Palestine campus had acquired an ambulance simulator to assist in training the emergency medical technicians.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be March 26th.
5. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. McGee., the minutes to the January 23, 2012 Board meeting minutes be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for January 2012. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board refinance the 2005 Bonds with Regions Bank. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board contract with Michael Morrison and David Guinn to perform the college redistricting responsibilities. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board increase the general fee as presented:
|In District||Out of District||Non-Resident|
|Out of District Fee||-||$48||-|
Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Stone., the Board approve renewing the contract with the Cain Center. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board give President Forgey the authority to enter into a new electricity provider contract pending new indicative pricing from suppliers beginning with meter reading in January 2013. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the change to Board policy CJ (LOCAL) – Transportation Management. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the change to Board policy DC (LOCAL) – Hiring Practices. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board go into closed session at 8:44 p.m. in accordance with Government Codes 551.082, 551.072, and 551.074. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board return from closed session at 9:05 p.m.
16. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Robert Gage, Maintenance, Palestine - Deceased
(2) Bruce Odom, Government/History Instructor, Athens – Retired
(3) Kevela Kirby – Housing Manager, Athens - Resigned
b. New Hires:
(1) Kim Sparks, Executive Assistant II, Vice President of Instruction, Athens
(2) Vicki Dossett, Counselor/Assistant to the Provost, Palestine Campus
(1) Karon Bean, Executive Assistant I, Associate Vice President of TDCJ-Correctional Programs
d. Other personnel issues
Motion carried unanimously.
17. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, to adjourn the meeting at 9:06 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.