Trinity Valley Community College



Athens Campus
Sheila Jones, MS
Director of Student Pathways and Success

100 Cardinal Drive
Athens, TX 75751
(903) 675-6383

Palestine Campus
Dr. Jeffrey Watson
Vicki Dossett, LPC
2970 N. St. Hwy 19
P.O. Box 2530
Palestine, TX 75802
(903) 723-7046

Terrell Campus
Dr. Algia Allen
Luanne Bourland
1200 E. I-20
P.O. Box 668
Terrell, TX 75160
(972) 563-4904

Health Science Center
Dr. Helen Reid
Jeffrey Ballom, NCC
800 Ed. Hall Drive
Kaufman, TX 75142
(972) 932-4309

Concerned about someone?
Posted: 1/22/2014 10:12:27 AM
Are you concerned about a student or friend who is depressed and possibly suicidal? Has student, friend or classmate expressed a desire to self-harm or to harm another person?

What do I do if I am Concerned about a Student?

Because you come in frequent contact with many students, you are in an excellent position to observe students, recognize those who are in distress, and offer assistance.  Your care, concern and assistance will often be enough to help the student.  At other times, you can play a critical role in referring a student for appropriate assistance and in motivating him/her to seek help.

Remember the 4 R's

  • RECOGNIZE-Be familiar with and acknowledge symptoms of distress
  • RESPOND- Privately initiate contact with a student displaying symptoms of distress.  Express your concerns in behavioral, non-judgmental terms and listen to the student in a sensitive, non-threatening way.
  • REFER-Know your limits as a help-giver: only go so far as your expertise, training and resources allow.  When a student needs more help than you are able to give, it is time to make a referral. 
  1. Behavioral Intervention Team
  2. Counseling Services
  3. Disability Services
  • REPORT-Report your concerns and actions taken with a student to the BIT through the Student Concern/Incident Report form: