Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, January 23, 2012 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. Jerry Stone Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day
Mr. Day opened the meeting with prayer.
There were no public comments.
There was no public information report.
The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey reported that Spring 2012 enrollment is down by about 6 percent. Factors for the decrease are: the elimination of the early college high school program in Palestine, changes in demographics at some schools, slight improvement in the economy, and other factors.
President Forgey advised that the period for individuals to file for election for Board positions is February 4th – March 5th.
Forgey mentioned the Texas Education Association, Pasadena ISD, and San Jacinto Community College is visiting the PINNACLE ECHS on January 24th.
President Forgey announced that the TVCC Rodeo would be February 10-11th.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be February 27th.
Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the minutes to the November 28, 2011 Board meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for November and December 2011. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board contract with Lambright, Smith and Associates to perform the college 2011-12 audit. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve sending a letter to the State of Texas Comptroller to retain the ability to exercise eminent domain. Motion carried unanimously.
There was no discussion of facility issues.
Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the revision to local policy DC (Local) – Hiring Practices. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the resolution honoring Dr. W.P. Drumgoole. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve purchasing a new pickup truck from Paul Murrey Ford. Motion carried unanimously
Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board go into closed session at 8:05 p.m. in accordance with Government Codes 551.082, 551.072, and 551.074. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board return from closed session at 9:05 p.m.
Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Doug Baumgartner, Custodian, Athens
(2) Janice Capelle, Choral Assistant, Athens
(3) Judy Costlow, Executive Assistant I, Associate Vice President of TDCJ Instructional Programs
(4) Nathan Davis, Custodian, Athens
(5) Jason Gardner, Plumber, Athens
(6) Karen Harris, Skills Lab Coordinator Health Science Center
(7) Linda Luce, Assistant to the Provost, Palestine
(8) Marcus Shamlin, Maintenance, Terrell
(9) Xochilt Zinn, Coordinator/Instructor, Surgical Technology
Program, Health Sciences Center
b. New Hires:
(1) Heath Cariker, Director of Campus Safety, Athens
(2) Rebecca Goodman, LRC Technical Assistant, Athens
(3) Susanna Parsons, Part-time Student Success Center Assistant
(1) Norma Sheram, Executive Assistant to the President
d. Other personnel issues
Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, to adjourn the meeting at 9:06 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.