Board of Trustees minutes - 11-28-2011
Posted: 12/1/2011 11:56:31 AM
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, November 28, 2011 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Jack Endres
Dr. Charlie Risinger Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day
1. Mr. McGee opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. Jennifer Hannigan reported on the Val and Norm Tumlinson and Student Senate food drives. Ms. Hannigan also reported that the college received numerous press inquiries following the death of former TVCC head women’s basketball coach Kurt Budke. Appreciation was given to former TVCC President, Ron Baugh, former TVCC Athletic Director, Leon Spencer, and TVCC Vice President of Instruction, Dr. Jerry King for speaking to the press regarding the impact of Coach Budke at TVCC.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
The SACS reaccreditation five year report.
The student loan default rate of the college.
The start of basketball season.
President Forgey reported that the Cardettes and TVCC Cardinal Regiment Band will participate in the Dallas Adolphus Christmas Parade. The parade is using a picture of the Cardettes in a billboard advertising the parade. A picture of the billboard was shown. The Cardettes were also invited to provide pregame entertainment for the Dallas Cowboy game on Thanksgiving Day. A picture of the Cardettes in Cowboy Stadium was shown.
President Forgey advised that the football team was invited to play in the Citizen Bank Bowl in Pittsburg, Kansas on December 4th.
President Forgey mentioned that the Cardettes and Band would be participating in the Athens Christmas Parade on December 3rd.
The TVCC Christmas Concert will be held December 4th.
The TVCC Christmas luncheon and December graduation will be Thursday, December 15th
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be January 23.
5. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the minutes to the October 24, 2011 Board meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for October 2011. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board approve the college investment policy. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the quarterly and annual investment reports. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Marlin Smith, Smith Lambright & Associates, P.C. provided the Board with the college audit for the year ended August 31, 2011. The audit provided an unqualified opinion. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board approve the annual audit report. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board go into closed session at 8:23 p.m. in accordance with Government Codes 551.082, 551.071, and 551.074. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board return from closed door session at 8:49 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the Board concur with the disciplinary action given to the student and that due process was provided in accordance to the TVCC College Catalog. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the Board approve the following personnel actions pending review of statutory provisions:
(1) Jane Black, Executive Assistant to the President
(2) Mark Cook, Transportation/Inventory Control Assistant
(3) Dr. Marylyn Wright, Music Department Coordinator, Athens
(4) Others as submitted
b. New Hires:
(1) Seth Forgey, Part-time Microcomputer/LAN Analyst
(2) Ashley Byrd, Part-time Campus Security Officer
(3) Ronald Williams, Part-time Campus Security Officer
(4) Mary Koelling, Part-time Computer Lab Assistant
(5) Angela Rossman, Part-time Computer Lab Assistant
(6) Shirley Townley, Part-time Secretary, Music Department
(7) Others as needed
d. Other personnel issues
(1) Michael Landers, Interim Vice President for Student Services
(2) Reorganization of responsibilities and personnel
Motion carried unanimously.
14. President Forgey reviewed the continuing education requirements of the Board members. All Board members are meeting the requirements.
15. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the tax levy amounts. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board outsource the groundskeeping function to R&P Hunt Brothers and have the administration review performance of the custodial staff on a quarterly basis with a report on the custodial performance to the Board after six months. Motion carried by a 7 – 2 vote with Mr. Monk and Dr. Risinger dissenting.
17. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Dr. Risinger, the Board approve the appointment of Mr. Charles Gann on the TVCC Foundation Board. Motion carried unanimously.
18. There was no action on the vehicle purchase.
19. President Forgey briefed the Board on the status of capital projects.
20. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve changes to local policy AF LOCAL (Institutional Effectiveness). Motion carried unanimously.
21. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, to adjourn the meeting at 9:57 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.