Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, April 22, 2013 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Jack Endres
Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day Dr. Charlie Risinger
1. Mr. Stone opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. The TVCC Lady Cardinal national championship women’s basketball team was introduced and autographed posters were given to the Board members.
4. Jennifer Hannigan provided an update on various TVCC activities and events.
5. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey provided a legislative update.
President Forgey distributed and commented on the Texas Public Higher Education Almanac.
President Forgey discussed the Westwood ISD petition to join the TVCC tax paying district.
President Forgey advised the Board the Athletic Department would be having an athletic banquet on April 23, 6:00 p.m. at the ACC.
President Forgey informed the Board of the TVCC Band Concert on April 23, 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium.
President Forgey told the Board that two TVCC rodeo members, Wenceslao “Lightning” Aguilera and Kolby Miller had qualified for the college national finals. Another team member, Austin Gross, could also qualify pending the results of the last rodeo.
President Forgey mentioned that Taylor Brown, and Rhonda Godlewski, along with Ag Club Advisor Marc Robinson attended the Texas Jr. College Ag. Association Convention on April 2 – 5.
President Forgey illustrated to the Board the new online training available to Board members.
President Forgey announced that TDCJ commencement would be Saturday, April 27 with Jeff Catoe the speaker; commencement for the health sciences students would be May 9, 6:30; and regular spring commencement May 10 at 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
President Forgey noted that the next Board meeting would be June 24th.
6. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the minutes to the February 25, 2013 Board meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for February and March 2013. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the revisions to policy CJ(LOCAL), Transportation Management, to allow certain approved contract personnel to drive TVCC vehicles. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the addition of policy CDB(REG), a regulation for Surplus Property Disposition in support of existing policy CDB(LEGAL). Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the proposed accounts receivables policy. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the extension of the Cain Center MOU. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the room and board rates for 2013-2014. Motion carried unanimously.
13. The Board discussed the Terrell Hospital facility and directed President Forgey to advise City of Terrell officials that the college would be very interested in leasing the facility on a long-term basis.
14. Mr. McGee moved, seconded, by Mr. Norville, the Board attend the ACCT meeting in Seattle, Washington, October 2 – 5. Motion carried 7-0 with Trustee Endres abstaining
15. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board go into closed session at 8:35 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board return from closed door session at 8:55 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
17. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
a. Retirements/Resignations/Reductions in Force
(1) Tiffany Stritz, Coaching Assistant, Softball
(2) David Raybin, Campus Police Officer
(3) Coy Murphree, Cabinet Making Instructor, TDCJ
b. New Hires:
(1) William Hauck, P/T Student Success Center Assistant
(2) Tara Thompson, Executive Assistant, Vice President of
d. Other personnel issues
18. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, to adjourn the meeting at 8:57 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.