Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, November 26, 2012 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Jack Endres
Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day Dr. Charlie Risinger
1. Dr. Risinger opened the meeting with prayer.
2. Mr. Christopher Bridges, retired U. S. Army Special Forces, addressed the Board regarding his educational experience at TVCC. Mr. Bridges was accompanied by his service dog “Eclipse.” Mr. Bridges expressed thanks to TVCC welding instructor Tom Sheram and TVCC for helping him in his academic pursuits.
Chairman Raymond read from a recent news article that indicated that TVCC was ranked 17th in the nation for being a veteran/military friendly college.
3. There were no information or news items.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey mentioned the Cardettes performing in the Children’s Medical Center Christmas Parade in Dallas.
President Forgey reported on the TVCC show team results at recent fair exhibits.
President Forgey advised the Board that the college would be hosting College Prep Day this coming Thursday for area high school seniors to help them prepare for college. Approximately 1,135 seniors from 19 schools will be on campus.
President Forgey announced the annual Christmas luncheon and fall graduation would be on Thursday, December 13.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be January 28, 2013.
5. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the minutes to the September 24, 2012 Board meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for September and October 2012. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Marlin Smith, Smith Lambright & Associates, P.C. provided the Board with the college audit for the year ended August 31, 2012. The audit provided an unqualified opinion. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the annual audit report. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day the Board approve the annual investment reports. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone the Board approve the college investment policy. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the 2012 ad valorem tax roll levy amounts. Motion carried unanimously
11. President Forgey reviewed the continuing education requirements of the Board members. All Board members are meeting the requirements. Trustee McGee is still waiting on the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to put additional training online to continue his training.
12. The Board reviewed the results of the college groundskeeping service. The outsourcing of the service saved the college approximately $85,000 for FY11-12. The college is pleased with the service.
13. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball the Board approve extending the college groundskeeping service contract with R&P Hunt Brothers through December 2013 at a cost of $123,552. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day the Board approve a change in the travel policy to allow for reimbursement for same day travel if the employee leaves before 6:00 a.m and returns after 10:00 p.m. the same day. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Stone the Board approve the Spring Community and Adult Education Class Schedule. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Endres the Board approve renewing and expanding the default management services contract with EdFinancial Services through August 31, 2013 at a cost of $41,508 with updates provided to the Board on the services being provided. Motion carried unanimously.
17. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Endres the Board approve changing the conflict of interest policy as it relates to purchasing from college employees by allowing employees to provide up to $5,000 annually of services/products to the college upon the approval of two college vice presidents. Motion carried unanimously.
18. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball the Board approve the purchase of a delivery truck from Caldwell Motors at a cost of $33,378. Motion carried unanimously.
19. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board go into closed session at 8:52 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
20. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the Board return from closed door session at 9:10 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
21. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Willa Smith, Administrative Assistant, Financial Aid, Terrell – Resigned
(2) William Carmines, Director of Adult Education/ESL & EL Civics – Resigned
(3) Joseph Collier, English Professor, Palestine – Resigned
(4) Delbert Spencer, Business Professor, Athens - Retired
b. New Hires:
(1) Kelley Townsend, Director of Dual Credit, Athens
(2) Stephen Guyton, Coaching Assistant, Football
(3) Suzanna Workman, Administrative Assistant, Financial Aid, Terrell
(4) Laura Thornton, Administrative Assistant, Community Services
(5) Bonnie Higgins, Nursing Innovation Grant Project Manager, Kaufman
(6) Samuel Ellis, Welding Professor, TDCJ
(7) Debra Smith, English Professor, Palestine
(1) Christie Hicks, Director of Adult Education/ESL & EL Civics
d. Reductions in Force
(1) Ronald Williams, P/T Campus Security Officer
e. Other personnel or land issues
Motion carried unanimously.
18. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, to adjourn the meeting at 9:11 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.