The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, September 24, 2012 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Jack Endres
Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. Ron Day Dr. Charlie Risinger
1. Mr. Day opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. Jennifer Hannigan distributed the new “The Valley” magazine. Mrs. Hannigan also reported on the Homecoming and Hall of Fame Banquet and other upcoming activities.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey displayed the SACS Fifth Year Report. The report was compiled by Tina Rummel, Director of Institutional Research, and her staff.
President Forgey provided an update on fall enrollment.
President Forgey announced that TVCC was awarded as the Athens Large Business of the Month for the month of August.
President Forgey reported on customer service training.
President Forgey reminded the Board of the Texas Health Resources – Kaufman Presbyterian Black Tie Gala – November 10 and other upcoming college activities.
President Forgey mentioned that TVCC faculty and staff will be participating in Learning Day on September 28th.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be October 22.
5. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the minutes to the August 27, 2012 Board meeting and September 10, 2012 Board Tax Rate Hearing be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Endres the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for August 2012. Motion carried unanimously. The Board also asked the administration to draft a policy for the allowance for doubtful accounts to be considered at a future Board meeting.
7. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the college set the tax rate for the college at $.0890 per $100 for the regular tax district and the college retain and set the tax rate for the college at $.05 per $100 for the branch campus maintenance tax district. Motion carried unanimously.
THESE TAX RATES WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S RATES. THE TAX RATES WILL EFFECTIVELY BE RAISED BY 7.3% FOR THE REGULAR TAX DISTRICT AND 1.56% FOR THE BRANCH CAMPUS MAINTENANCE TAX DISTRICT, AND WILL RAISE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS ON A $100,000 HOME BY APPROXIMATELY $7.50 IN THE REGULAR TAX DISTRICT.
8. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Monk , the Board approve the tax roll levy for Trinity Valley Community College for Kaufman County Tax Appraisal Roll. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the non-participation in the State Employee Charitable Contribution Program CDDA (LOCAL) policy. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. McGee the Board approve the clarification to the purchasing policy. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Monk the Board approve the request by the Student Government Association to travel to Romania during spring break for humanitarian purposes. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board go into closed session at 8:34 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board return from closed door session at 8:52 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
(1) Mary Koelling – P/T Computer Lab Assistant
(2) Angela Rossman – P/T Computer Lab Assistant
b. New Hires:
(1) Thomas Booth – Biology Professor
(2) Joseph Collier – English Professor
(3) Josie Kallhoff – Housing Manager
(4) Peter Miller – Choral Professor & Accompanist
(5) Lianna Reid – Executive Assistant, Assoc. VP of Academic Affairs
(6) Ronda Hamilton – Administrative Assistant, Counseling
(7) Mark Leslie – Recruiting Coordinator
(8) Tony Buford – Shipping, Receiving & Transportation Asst.
(1) Robert Brittain – Computer Lab Coordinator
(2) Jody Johnson – From full-time to part-time Nursing Professor
d. Other personnel issues
(1) Award President Forgey a $5,000 bonus.
Motion carried unanimously.
There was discussion regarding President Forgey accompanying the Cardette group traveling to England next May. No action was taken.
18. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, to adjourn the meeting at 8:58 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.