Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, August 27, 2012 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Ron Day Dr. Charlie Risinger
Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Jack Endres Mr. Kenneth McGee
Mrs. Paula Kimball Mr. David Monk
2. There were no public comments.
Mr. Stone opened the meeting with prayer.
3. There was no report on information or news items.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey introduced the student government body president, Chelsea Malone, and vice president, Aly Peterson.
President Forgey provided an update on the Fall enrollment. Enrollment is basically the same as it was last year. There are increases at the Athens, HSC and Terrell campuses. Palestine and the TDCJ are down.
President Forgey reported on the current status of the reallocation of state appropriations
President Forgey advised the Board he would be meeting with the Kaufman County area superintendents on Wednesday.
President Forgey informed the Board that the annual “Meet the Cards” would be Thursday, August 30th.
President Forgey announced that TVCC would be hosting a “Business After Hours” on September 10th.
President Forgey mentioned that the Board would have the second Tax Rate Hearing on September 10, 2012.
President Forgey reminded the Board of the next regularly scheduled Board meeting on September 24th.
5. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the minutes to the July 23, 2012 regular Board meeting and August 15, 2012 Board workshop be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for July 2012. Motion carried unanimously. The Board requested that a revenue analysis/return on investment of Cardinal Hall be performed after the end of the fiscal year.
7. A hearing was conducted on the proposed tax increase for 2012-13. Mr. Brent Muecke commented on the proposed tax increase.
8. A hearing was conducted on the FY 2012-13 Budget. Mr. Brent Muecke commented on the FY 2012-13 Budget. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone to close the public hearing. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve the 2012-13 budget. Motion carried unanimously.
10. There was discussion of the parking at the Kaufman HSC. Students donated $362 towards future parking lot expansion.
11. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board approve PEAT (Public Educators Association of Texas) as the 2012-13 auto, liability, and property insurance provider. Motion carried unanimously. The Board requested that President Forgey provide an analysis and recommendation for replacement of the 15 passenger vans currently used by the college.
12. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Endres, the Board approve the college offering an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Vocational Nursing degree. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board approve the position titles and the amended changes to the following policies: Local Policy DC (LOCAL) - HIRING PRACTICES, Local Policy DEA (LOCAL) - COMPENSATION AND BENEFIT SALARIES, Local Policy DJ (LOCAL) - WORK LOAD, Local Policy DNA (LOCAL) - PERSONNEL POSITIONS QUALIFICATIONS AND DUTIES DEA (LOCAL). Motion carried unanimously.
14. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board go into closed session at 8:19 p.m. in accordance with Government Code 551.072 and 551.074 to consider personnel and land matters. Motion carried unanimously.
August 27, 2012
15. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board return from closed door session at 10:27 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Endres moved, seconded by Mr. Stone, the Board approve the
(1) Myrtle Smith, Building Custodian – Retired
(2) Ronald Williams, P/T Campus Security Officer – Resigned
(3) Toni McMillen, English Professor – Resigned
(4) Joshua Cheek, Coaching Assistant/Softball – Resigned
(5) Bobbie Greenhaw, Head Athletic Trainer/Kinesiology
Instructor – Resigned
b. New Hires:
(1) Troy Scott, Head Athletic Trainer/Kinesiology Instructor
(2) Khristopher Franklin, Cheerleader Coach/Professor
(3) Hannah Ricks, SFA Specialist – Pell
(4) Michael Harman, Biology Professor
(5) Dusty Baumann, Grant Coordinator
(6) Kevin January, Coaching Assistant/Softball
(7) Lisa MacAllister, Coaching Assistant/Volleyball
(8) Jorge Palacios, Videographer
(9) Lila Ensign, Student Services Specialist
c. Reclassifications/promotions of staff.
(1) Courtney Curran, Director of Student Activities
(2) Charlie Hueber, Executive Director - Student Life/Judicial Officer
(3) Harold Jones, Director of Student Housing/Residential Life
(4) Wendy Mays, Associate VP of Academic Affairs
(5) Renda Garner, Director of Distance Learning
d. Others as necessary.
(1) President’s contract for FY12-13
17. Dr. Risinger moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, to adjourn the meeting at 10:29 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.