Board of Trustees meeting minutes -- 4/28/14
Posted: 8/14/2014 3:23:13 PM
Trinity Valley Community College
The Trinity Valley Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, April 28, 2014 in the Board Room of the Orval Pirtle Administration Building in Athens, with the following members present:
Mr. Ray Raymond Mr. Kenneth McGee Mr. Homer Norville
Mr. David Monk Mr. Jerry Stone Mr. Steve Grant
Mr. Ron Day Dr. Charlie Risinger Mrs. Paula Kimball
1. Mr. Day opened the meeting with prayer.
2. There were no public comments.
3. TVCC Public Information Officer, Jayson Larson, updated the Board on various stories including a Palestine student, Carlos Hunt, who had to ride a horse to campus, the TVCC 2nd Annual Earth Day Festival, the HSC inducting 61 students into the inaugural class of the Alpha Tau chapter, the Cardettes’ spring show, TVCC Rodeo team member Justus Whitcher qualifying for the College National Finals Rodeo, and campus fund raisers and activities to assist TVCC student Sasha Madsen who was recently diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.
4. The following topics were discussed or reviewed in the President’s report:
President Forgey recognized the women’s basketball team and congratulated the team for winning the national championship for an unprecedented three consecutive years.
President Forgey mentioned that the review from the Department of Education on the college financial aid office went well. There were no findings involving monetary issues.
President Forgey informed that Board of the number of graduates for the spring commencement ceremonies.
President Forgey stated that students will begin finals this week and that the late night breakfast would be on Wednesday night.
President Forgey shared that the Athletic Department will have its banquet on April 29 at 6:00 p.m. at the Athens Country Club.
April 28, 2014
President Forgey advised the Board the TDCJ commencement ceremony had 61 students walk and receive their diplomas.
President Forgey noted that the TVCC Spring commencement would be May 8th at 6:30 for the nursing graduates and May 9th and 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. for the AAS and AA graduates.
President Forgey told the Board that the annual TVCC Foundation Golf tournament was Monday, May 19th at the Pinnacle Golf Club.
President Forgey reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting would be June 23, 2014.
5. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the minutes to the February 24, 2014 Board meeting be approved. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the business, financial and investment reports for February and March 2014. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Mr. Monk moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board cancel the election for the seats of District 1, 2, and 3 as the seats were not contested. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Norville, the Board approve hiring an additional welding instructor. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve hiring an additional financial aid officer. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Mrs. Kimball moved, seconded by Mr. Monk, the Board approve the extension of the Cain Center Memorandum of Understanding. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. McGee, the Board award the food services contract to ARAMARK for a 10 year period with the details of the contract to be further negotiated. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board approve the room and board rates for FY14-15. Motion carried unanimously.
13. Mr. McGee moved, seconded by Mr. Day, the Board to go into closed session at 8:35 p.m. to discuss land and/or personnel in accordance with Govt. Codes 551.072 and 551.074. Motion carried unanimously.
April 28, 2014
14. Mr. Stone moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, the Board return from closed session at 9:35 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Mr. Norville moved, seconded by Mrs. Kimball, the Board approve the following personnel actions:
a. Retirements/Resignations/Reductions in Force
(1) Lola King, English Professor
(2) Deborah Crawford, Biology Professor
(3) Wendi Johnson, Campus Police Officer
(4) Eric Moseley, Speech/Music Professor
b. New Hires:
(1) Jesse Saxon, Campus Police Officer
(2) Mary VanCleve, Biology Professor
(3) Alex Mullins, Senior Research Analyst
(4) Katie McElroy, Administrative Assistant, Director of
Strategic Planning, Effectiveness & Accreditation
(1) Shelia Goldman, Executive Assistant I - Assist. VP for
Institutional Planning, Research & Effectiveness - to
Executive Assistant I for Provost at HSC Kaufman
(2) Martin Anderton, Microcomputer/LAN Analyst, Palestine - to Business Computer Information Technology Instructor,
(3) Christine Fisher, Tutor Coordinator – to English/
Developmental Reading & Writing Professor, Terrell
d. Other personnel issues
(1) Assistant Director/
Women’s Sports Programs Administrator
(2) Early Retirement Incentive Options
Motion carried unanimously.
16. Mr. Day moved, seconded by Mr. Grant, to adjourn the meeting at 9:36 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.