The Trinity Valley Community College Health Science Center, located next to Presbyterian Hospital of Kaufman on 800 Ed Hall Dr., was built in 1983. The Presbyterian Medical Centers of Dallas and Kaufman provided the initial support for the construction located on land donated by the late Mr. Toddie Lee Wynne of Kaufman. At the Health Science Center, the college offers a variety of health occupation programs for interested students. General education courses for the health occupations programs are offered in Athens on the main campus, at the Terrell campus and the Palestine campus. There is a selections process for a majority of the programs, and interested applicants are encouraged to contact the counselors for more information.
The classroom and skills lab experiences for the health occupations programs are held at the Health Science Center and clinical facilities are used in Kaufman, Terrell, Athens, Palestine, Greenville, Rowlett, Rockwall, Mesquite, Dallas, Sunnyvale, Ennis, Corsicana, and Jacksonville. The variety of clinical experiences available, and the assistance received from the staff make it possible for TVCC graduates to become proficient health care providers.
With a shortage of health care workers, the growth of the community, and the increased demand for health care, there is a great interest in the quality health occupations programs offered at Trinity Valley. Graduates find employment in a variety of settings, with the majority staying in the area. The success of the programs is due to the selection processes, the support from college administration, the desire to excel on the part of the students and faculty, the support of the clinical affiliates, and the community support.
Currently offered health occupations programs are:
1. Associate Degree Nursing - in Kaufman with videoconferencing to Athens starting each fall
2. LVN-to-ADN Transition - in Kaufman with videoconferencing to Athens starting each May
3. Paramedic-to-ADN Transition - in Kaufman with videoconferencing to Athens starting each May
4. Vocational Nursing - in Palestine starting in the fall and in Kaufman starting in the spring
5. Surgical Technology
6. Emergency Medical Services - EMT Basic in Athens, Kaufman and Palestine each fall and spring and Paramedic in Kaufman and Palestine starting each summer
7. Patient Care Technology - in Kaufman each fall and spring